Our investigation into the perplexing world of Samsung’s entry-level smartphone range continues with the Galaxy A02s. The A02s’ compromises are what we’re here to evaluate, since they push the limits of what can fit into a small budget while still being worthy of the badge.
We noted that Samsung’s lineup is unclear, and the A02s is also available as the M02s in some locations. Despite the fact that they have different model numbers, the hardware is similar, thus our findings here should apply equally well to the M02s, even if our review unit’s packaging reads A02s.
Mind you, the’s’ in those names has a lot of meaning. There are other non-s variants of the Galaxy A02 and M02, which are otherwise similar to the A02s and M02s but have inferior internals. Keep your eyes peeled for what’s written on the package.
As a result, the Galaxy A02s comes with a 6.5-inch LCD display, as AMOLEDs are too costly for this market. The Snapdragon 450, while being manufactured on a 14nm technology, is more over three years old and will not win any accolades (compare to the 28nm Mediatek in the non-s models).
The 13MP primary module is accompanied by the typical (and questionably helpful) duo of 2MP’macro’ and depth cameras on the rear, which gives the impression of a triple camera. That is to say, there isn’t an ultra-wide camera on this phone; you’ll have to look at the A12 for one. Another minor drawback is the 5MP selfie camera.
However, Samsung didn’t play about with the battery, and the A02s comes with the same 5,000mAh battery as the A12 and A02. Because the hardware isn’t particularly taxing, we anticipate high endurance figures.
Samsung Galaxy A02s specs
- Body: 164.2×75.9×9.1mm, 196g; Glass front, plastic back.
- Display: 6.50″ PLS IPS, 720x1600px resolution, 20:9 aspect ratio, 270ppi.
- Chipset: Qualcomm SDM450 Snapdragon 450 (14 nm): Octa-core 1.8 GHz Cortex-A53; Adreno 506.
- Memory: 32GB 3GB RAM, 64GB 4GB RAM; eMMC 5.1; microSDXC (dedicated slot).
- OS/Software: Android 10; One UI 2.5.
- Rear camera: Wide (main): 13 MP, f/2.2, AF; Macro: 2 MP, f/2.4; Depth: 2 MP, f/2.4.
- Front camera: 5 MP, f/2.2.
- Video capture: Rear camera: [email protected]
- Battery: 5000mAh; Fast charging 15W.
- Misc: Accelerometer, proximity; 3.5mm jack.
Samsung Galaxy A02s unboxing
The packaging is unsurprising; the A02s comes in the same box as the A12 we reviewed previously, as well as most other cheap Galaxies. When you remove the cardboard tray from the sleeve, you’ll find the identical contents: the phone, a 15W adaptor, and a USB-A-to-C cable. A simple case would have been wonderful, but in our class, every cent counts, so its lack doesn’t worry us.
The Galaxy A02s, like the A12, has a unique rear texture; we’ll go over that on the following page, where we’ll look at its design and build quality.